Brain injury is more common than you think, and its impact can be life-changing for both the individual hurt but also their wider family. Ensuring your head protection is worn and cared for correctly is key to remaining safe.
Head injury and workplace safety facts:
- There were 348,453 UK admissions to hospital with acquired brain injury in 2016-17. That is 531 admissions per 100,000 of the population.
- 20% of all injuries whether fatal and non-fatal in the UK since 2013 are head related.
- Of all non-fatal injuries reported under Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations for 2017-18, 13% are head related.
- Head protection account for only 3% of PPE purchases, yet account for over 20% of injuries.
- On average people spend £25-£30 on a pair of safety boots, but only £5-£8 on their safety helmet.
A total of 486 participants completed our survey, which remained open from 27th January to 30th April 2020.
Participants were asked a series of questions relating to their knowledge of concussion and safety at work. Many were multiple-choice questions allowing participants to select zero or more responses.Back