Further help with self-directed support

Headway's helpline is a valuable source of support and information on Self Directed Support and other issues that may arise after brain injury. The helpline may be able to put you in touch with local Headway services, or other independent organisations, which can support you in applying for self-directed support or contesting a decision.

Advocacy services

Some local authorities have set up advocacy services to help you with self-directed support. Other services, for example some Age Concern centres, also offer this help.

Advocacy could help you to identify what assistance you need and what services you could receive to help you achieve what you want. If you have difficulties with reading or filling in printed forms, social services should put you in contact with a local advocacy service straight away.

Using an advocacy service should be free. Your local social services department should be able to put you in touch with local advocacy services.