Because it can be difficult to diagnose, many people can be affected by CO poisoning or live with low-level poisoning without being aware of the cause. The effects can be fatal. Tiredness, headaches and vomiting are immediate symptoms but more long-term effects can include lifelong brain injury.
Eddie Hughes, MP for Walsall in the West Midlands, has put forward the Carbon Monoxide (Detection and Safety) Bill which will be debated in Parliament on Friday 19 January 2018. The bill contains measures to require audible CO alarms in all rented homes which use combustible fuel – gas, solid fuel or liquid fuel. The measures would apply to private rented homes, social housing and houses in multiple occupation, as well as all new-build homes.
Clare Mills, Public Affairs Manager for Headway, said: “This bill is a great opportunity for MPs from across all political parties to show they are serious about reducing the risk of death and serious brain injury for their constituents. Headway works with people who have suffered life-changing brain injury as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning yet simple measures such as audible CO alarms can prevent these injuries and deaths from happening.
“We hope all MPs will attend Parliament and support this bill. Their votes on this bill have the power to save lives.”
Support the bill
- You can find out more about the Silent Killer Bill at www.eddiehughes.co.uk/silentkillerbill
- Ask your MP to support the #SilentKillerBill to prevent brain injury and save lives from carbon monoxide poisoning. Find your MP’s details on the UK Parliament website.